Dress Attractive – put your best foot forward
An attractive appearance increases self-esteem and opens doors to opportunities faster. While you are dressed appropriately for your roles, goals and occasions and are also comfortable by incorporating your personal style, it is also very important to look attractive. Being attractively dressed means, “nothing about your appearance is unpleasant to others” and you always leave a pleasant first impression.
Dressing attractively also has an internal effect – Your appearance first communicates to you and then to others. Your look affects – The way you think – The way you feel – The way you act or behave, and then – The way others react or respond to you.
Ways your look can affect your pay!
I read something interesting published by Huffington-Post. Multiple studies show that the amount someone is paid — and in some cases whether or not they get the job — is based, at least in part, on how one looks. Here is a synopsis of ways your looks affect your pay:
- Height: A 2004 study by Timothy Judge at the University of Florida found that tall people get paid more money.
- Weight: Obese workers (those who have a Body Mass Index of more than 30) are paid less than normal-weight co-workers.
- Physique: According to a study in the Journal of Labor Research, workers who exercise regularly earn 9 percent more on average than employees who don’t work out. Your physical fitness greatly impacts your pay cheque.
- Make-up and Hair-color: A study reported, “64 percent of directors said that women who wore make-up looked more professional”. Women who wear makeup in moderate amount are judged higher in competence and trustworthiness.
- General Attractiveness: If people think you’re good-looking, they’ll pay you more money. Handsome people are paid handsomely.
So whether you like it or not, you are being judged by how you look and carry yourself.
The good news is… that anyone can look attractive!
Everybody may not be born beautiful, but anybody can look attractive. The key to dressing attractively is:
- Dressing as per your Body Shape – know your body shape and which clothing lines are most attractive and comfortable. You can’t fit a square into a round hole.
- Dressing as per your Personal color – colors that resonate with the innate colors in persons skin, hair and eyes.
- Accessorizing and wearing make-up as per face shape – face features and body shape impact hair styles, shoes and accessory lines, designs and patterns.
- Making sure that grooming and personal hygiene are up to the mark – looking clean and smelling good is the most basic thing you can do to be more appealing.
There are several body shapes and face shapes and many variations and there is always a color, fabric, style and silhouette that complement your face shape and body shape. Once this simple science is understood anyone can dress to impress. It incorporates simple strategies of understanding what works best for your physical attributes and looks attractive.
“You may not know what is wrong, you may not even know there could be something better, but you always know when something is really right…you can feel it.” — Irenee
( We are writing this as a follow up to our previous articles – Dress Appropriate and Dress Authentic . Dress Attractive is the last of this 3-part series of ‘Dressing in harmony with YOU’ -i.e.: your Body (Dress Attractive) , Mind (Dress Appropriate) and Spirit (Dress Authentic) . For those who our visiting this space for the first time, I request you read our previous articles too.)
9×5 Programs are a series of 9 programs – each designed to help you master one element of your image and its related tools and techniques. Each individual is at different stage of their personal and professional growth journey, so the requirement of each will also be different. Hence, based on our years of experience and feedback from our clients, we have designed 9 self-contained learning program , each with its defined objectives and goals. This will help you to mix-n-match programs as per your specific needs – one element at a time.
Tip: You don’t have to have the perfect body to look amazing; just find the clothing #styles that work best with your body type. If you #dress for your body type, you will look good, no matter what your size is. #Fashion is a tool—like makeup or hairstyles—to create a look you love. “You can change your clothing to have a positive effect on your body,”